Saturday, February 4, 2012

Word corner - just

The adverb just has several meanings, including 'only', 'exactly' and 'a little bit', and is often used with time expressions. Get to know it better with these exercises.

Click and Drop - Where you see this sign, mouse over for instructions

Different meanings

Exercise 1 - Match the sentences on the left with the uses of the adverb just on the right.

1. This is just right.aequally, no less
2. We've got just enough.bnow, in a moment
3. She left just as I was leaving.ca very short time ago
4. This one is just as good as that one.dexactly
5. It started just after eight.eto show a small possibility
6. Mike? I think he's just left.fwith none to spare
7. I'm just coming.gto get someone's attention
8. Why don't you just tell the truth?honly
9. There is just one thing I've got to say!isimply
10. Don't you just love jagreeing with somebody
11. Just come over here, will you!ka little, a short time
12. Could you just wait a second please?lat the same moment
13. He might just still be in the officemin polite requests
14. Lovely day, isn't it? - Isn't it just?nreally, absolutely

Collocations and idiomatic use

Exercise 2 - Complete the sentences with the words in the box. Some words are used more than once.

because   · as   · what   · yet   · that   · then   · about   · well
for   · so   · might   · second   · only   · soon   · to  
1. Have you finished that book yet? - Just . Only a couple of pages more.
2. We arrived too late, just I thought we would.
3. I got this just luck.
4. Just she likes you doesn't mean she fancies you.
5. Just a , I'll get something to write with.
6. And he got up and left, just like , without even saying goodbye!
7. I think I've covered just everything, so are there any questions?
8. I just be able to reach if I stand on this chair.
9. Don't go. Not just , at any rate.
10. I'd just as you didn't tell Marge I told you.
11. It was just that the doorbell rang.
12. My phone rang just I was getting off the bus.
13. Oh, thank you so much. It's just I've always wanted.
14. He just left a minute ago.
15. Look at this rain. It's just as I brought an umbrella.
16. She always likes everything to be just . She's really fussy.
17. We just got there in time.
18. Hurry up! The train's just to leave.
19. This is a short note just say we'll be coming on Friday evening.
20. The film was so bad, we just as well have stayed at home.

Exercise 3 - Rewrite (or copy and paste) the sentences adding just into the most appropriate position. Start with a capital letter and end with a full stop or question mark. (Sometimes there may be more than one possible answer.)

1. This is what I've been looking for.
2. I only got to the station in time.
3. She has been telling us all about yesterday's party.
4. Could you help me move this sofa, please?
5. She's as tall as her brother.
6. I got to the bus stop as the bus was leaving.
7. That's the sweetest puppy I've ever seen.
8. That's what I wanted to tell you.
9. She needs a little TLC, that's all.
10. We arrived at the pub before closing time.

A note on tense use

In British English, when just means 'a moment ago' or 'a short time ago', we usually use Present Perfect.
  • Is Pete still here? - No, he's just left.
  • I've just finished that report you wanted.
North Americans are just as likely to use Past Simple.
  • I just had lunch.
  • I just saw Mike in the corridor.
When we say just now meaning 'a moment ago', in both British and American English we use a past tense.
  • I thought I heard my phone ring just now.
  • Did you see something move in the bushes just now?

Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment